Earlier this week, Roush Fenway Racing and Greg Biffle announced what had been rumored going into the Homestead-Miami championship weekend. Biffle will not return to the No. 16 Ford Fusion for the 2017 season.
Rumors have also been circulating that the 47-year-old driver is going over to as the second car at JTG Daugherty Racing but Biffle himself said that was not happening.
“It was probably my toughest decision to make, to not have another deal,” Biffle said.
“… I have talked to several teams, including the JTG (Daugherty) team. I met with those guys probably a month, month-and-a-half ago. They’re a great organization, they’ve got competitive cars, but it just really didn’t work with me.”
It now looks like if JTG Daugherty Racing were to start up a second team, Chris Buescher would more likely to be their second driver.
Biffle was also rumored to have sought to go over to Michael Waltrip Racing in the seasons after their race-altering Richmond incident that subsequently forced Martin Truex, Jr. to leave when NAPA left the Toyota team. It’s not clear why that deal did not work out, but Biffle had no sponsorship to bring with him. The same, along with his lack of recent results at RFR may make it difficult for him to find a quality Sprint Cup ride.
A non-charter team or small team looking to help advance their program may look to put Biffle in their ride for 2017.
Roush Fenway Racing has also made other personnel changes, including general manager Robbie Reiser being relieved of his duties yesterday. Sponsorship is also in question as both Zest and Cheez-It / Kelloggs have chosen not to renew sponsorship at Roush for 2017.
As of the publishing of this article, Biffle’s official website still shows a large image of him leaning up against the No. 16 Ford Fusion from RFR. The site will likely remain unchanged until plans for 2017 are announced.
Biffle is the third veteran driver to leave RFR in the past few years. Previously, both Matt Kenseth and Carl Edwards left the team with subsequent rides in place at Joe Gibbs Racing. Biffle is the first veteran in recent memory to leave without another ride in place.
It's been a great 19 yrs at Roush Fenway racing, it was a mutual agreement we started working on many months ago for a departure after 2016
— Greg Biffle (@gbiffle) November 21, 2016
Source: NASCAR.com – Greg Biffle Won’t Return to Roush in 2017